Tuesday, December 20, 2005

A goat and a shoe.

I'm having one of those mornings. You know the ones where you think about just how good you have it really, and how very unbalanced the world really is? Sharon and I sponsor a child from Uganda through Compassion Australia (check them out at www.compassion.com.au - you can sponsor a child right off the page. Oh, and if you do, leave a comment so I know you did!). Compassion does all their sponsorship by partnering with local churches in the community. I think their method is excellent, so I love to support them.

We got a letter from our child last week, and she was just so greatful that we support her. She now has a goat and a shoe (we assume she means shoes - if not then we need to up our sponsorship money...) It sort of hurts. I mean, we don't even MISS the money we send. I honestly don't even notice it. Not one little bit. Yet she now has a goat and (some) shoes.

A while back, Darren Hailes posted a message on his blog (darrenhailes.blogspot.com) about being privileged. He even has a link up on the left hand side where you can put in your salary and it tells you roughly where you rank in the world rich list. Let's just say it's a little sobering.

The thing is, it actually makes me want to make more money. I guess I figure if I make it, rather than someone else, then more people may get a goat and a shoe. I think it's about time we got another sponsor child... And then maybe another...

1 comment:

Wendy G said...

Hey Nathan, we gave our daughter Emily a goat for her birthday! She'd been asking for one all year and says it was her best present ever . . . . check out http://www.tear.org.au/giftcatalogue/browse/item_i.shtml to see more about our Emily's goat. We got the idea from Kylie Collinson. We use gifts from this website for all kinds of people; school teachers, friends, family . . . . we're currently saving for http://www.tear.org.au/giftcatalogue/browse/item_k.shtml which appeals no end to my own children. Imagine being able to tell your friends that you got a toilet for Christmas!!!! How cool is that????

Love
Wendy