Monday, January 09, 2006

New Age better than 'religion' and war

I was sitting in church on Sunday night, and Dave was talking about destiny. At one point he held up a Womans Day magazine, and on the front cover was a little overlay thingy (that's the technical industry term you know!) which was about finding your purpose and destiny. It was very much a New Age type advertisement for courses etc.

What I started thinking about though was why is it that this type of thing is readily accepted by a lot of people in this day and age yet something like Christianity turns them off so much? I know it's not a new question, but it's one I haven't pondered for a long time.

The things I guess I came up with as likely were these:

- a lot of New Age teaching very much allows you to do basically whatever you want, while just keeping sure you don't hurt others too much in the process.
- I don't see any wars being fought at a country level over New Age teaching, which is a lot more inclusive than most organised religions such as Christianity and Islam.

So how do we compete with this? And I do mean compete. See, I may be as sure as anything that what I believe is real, but until someone else can see that for themselves what I believe is just another organised religion, and one that by it's very nature requires at least a few changes. And even if those changes are helped by God, it's a tough 'sell'.

But then again, that's what the Spirit is for. That's the bit that does beyond our strength and into the realm of the supernatural...

Food for thought anyway.

No comments: