Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Free speech and your beliefs

All of these 'goings on' at the moment surrounding the cartoons of the prophet Muhammad have so many sides, issues and points of view that debate could seemingly rage for a long time.

How do you weigh up freedom of speech and expression against the rights of others not to feel offended, disenfranchised and mocked? How do you understand each other when you view the world so fundamentally differently?

As a committed Christian, I know my job is to love others and stand up for my beliefs, but I get frustrated when I hear people with no religious convictions complain about religion and politics not mixing. The very nature of who I am cannot suddenly split into two seperate things. Every way I view the world is THROUGH my beliefs, as is every other person on this planet.

So, I read an article yesterday pointing out a couple of things. Firstly, it stated the reason that images of Muhammad are not allowed is to avoid a situation of idolatry. As a Christian, I can understand this concern. The author then argues that therefore, these cartoons should not be an issue - they are hardly going to lead a Muslim into idolatry. Fair point - sort of. He also then stated that there are Islamic bookstores that have violent literature promoting hatred and violence towards both Jews and Christians, and that this is far worse than the cartoons, and smacks of grave hypocracy.

Now, on the surface at least, the argument seems reasonable. However, the reality of religion is not always one of seeing things the same way for all. Perhaps it should, and certainly that is a reason many don't like religions of any kind. But when you fight for your beliefs you don't always see things as others would - your concern is your beliefs. You may fight for a cartoon, but still have literature condemning others. Right or wrong, that is often the case, and THAT seems to be the problem here - that is not something that can be changed by sound reasoning and logical arguments.

I'm sure not all Muslims feel burning down embassies and killing people is a reasonable response to the act of someone who according to their beliefs is doomed anyway, but it is evident that some do. It is happening even as I write this in response to those cartoons.

Publishing those cartoons is a strong statement that people won't be bowed to others' censorship. And since the original publication (over 4 months ago, so why the flare up now??) it has been published by roughly 20 other publications in other countries as a show of support. But, if anyone thinks that will somehow 'prove' the point then I fear they have it all wrong. It is just as likely to widen the gap between Islam and the West and just as likely to push moderate Muslims to more extreme views.

The only question remains is this: Is that reason enough to censor freedom of speech? I have my own answer, but it's my own... What's yours?

No comments: