Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Sheer grit!!!



Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes!!!!

What a start for the boyz! 3-1 against a team that is ranked over 20 places higher in the world ranking, a team that ran out of puff in the heat, and were too willing to just defend a 1-0 advantage!

Cahill, you are a true champion, and Aloisi, you have done so much for us it's just incredible!

I did learn something interesting though... I was reminded of how when people are passionate about something, and it goes wrong (in this case, Japanese fans) we sometimes view things in what could only be described as an 'odd' light.

Comments on a Japanese forum for football included comments such as Australia were playing rugby and the tackling was disgraceful (to me the Japanese just simply didn't know HOW to tackle, and threw themselves down like soft little marshmellows - I saw less diving in week 2 of the Aquatics at the olympic games...), through to an odd comment that said Japan played much better than the Australians and were really unlucky. I'm not sure which game THAT fan was watching, but the vast majority of both posession and chances came to the Aussies, so that seems like a strange one.

Still, I know how upset I get when I'm passionately watching a sport and we lose so I'll just take the win! As for the Schwarzer decision (or lack thereof) who cares. We won. 3-1 is a great score. Occasionally, you get a bad call, it happens. We still won. If we didn't go down 1-0 we may never have got those goals at the end.

GO BOYS! Get a draw against Brazil (easier said than done, I know) and we will be really close to qualifying for the second round. Now that would be something! Either way, the whole country is bloody proud of you! You've already gone where no other Aussie team has gone before you - a win in the world cup tournament! Never say die! That attitude will get us a long way.

No comments: