Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Nath's assorted ramblings

Sorry folks, I know it's been WAY too long between drinks... No excuses. I was in Sydney last week, and very busy, but I had the week before that so no good excuses anyway!

I'm reading an interesting book at the moment called the Cross and the Crescent by Phil Parshall. Phil is a missionary in Muslim countries and this book is an interesting examination of the Muslim faith by a Christian how understands their faith, their culture, their questions doubts and belief, just as much some of us understand Christianity.

It's a fascinating read. It's not easy - he's a scholar, so the book is a little on the essay-ish side. I like that, but the style isn't going to be the easiest to read. I can however recommend the book. With all that is going on in the world - the polarisation of religious thinking and marginalisation of Muslims by the western world, this book is in my mind really important.

Lately I've been thinking I just don't really know anything much about the Muslim faith. Ignorance is not a good thing, so I set out to find out more. I wanted to do it though by getting information from a Christian source, but one that LIVES in Muslim communities, one that really does understand what they face, and what they believe.

This book is just that. It looks at the message of Islam, the Quran, the Hadith and the message of Christianity and the Bible in comparison.

I might put down some thoughts on this book over the coming weeks. We shall see. One thing is for sure - I can't read more than a few pages without having my mind go into overdrive. Phil sure makes me THINK. And that's a good thing!

Do yourself a favour, go an buy this book - I challenge you to enlarge your understanding of what others believe, in the hope that if ever required, we may better relate to them, and thereby perhaps be sensitive to them. As well, this book is primarily an evangelism tool to Muslims. This may help equip you for a conversation you never even thought you would have!

No comments: