Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Bronze... like a primary school medal...

I got given a framed recognition award at work today. It's called the Bronze Recognition Award, and it says it's in recognition of the fact that I led a project team on a project that brought in over $750K in revenue.

It's kinda nice I guess. We all like recognition. But it also reminded me of those little medals and certificates and thing you got in primary school for swimming in a race. I used to swim in races... If you could call them swimming. It's more like floating and trying to propel myself forwards. Now, before you get the kind of mental image of a beached whale that I reckon you already have let me say a few things. One, I'm talking about primary school, and two, I wasn't overweight back then. That didn't happen until I was about 23 or so. It wasn't a weight thing - I just didn't go forward too well. I could float for hours, and was great in the surf, but put me in a pool and I swam like crazy... and got nowhere. Kinda like Eric the Eel at the olympics... Never could work that one out...

Anyway, I digress... The point of the story is this - I still used to get a piece of paper saying well done. I just can't work out if this thing I got at work is like that or not. I don't want this to sound ungrateful, it really IS nice that the work was noticed and appreciated... I just kind of half expect it to say

This award is presented to NATHAN YOUNG in recognition of trying hard to move forward in the pool and coming second last in the 25m Freestyle.

(It's true. I never came last. There was always at least one kid who couldn't reach the other side and nearly drowned in the process. He made me look good. Thanks kid... If you are still alive and haven't drowned yet...)

Looking back at this post I have no idea why I wrote it now, or what I was on about, but it's better than the crap I've been serving up lately (sorry about that - serious lack of focus!!!)

No comments: